Kitty City Feral Sanctuary, Inc.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Kitten Season and Feral Cats

It's no surprise to anyone in rescue that kitten season is again upon us.  The shelters are overflowing and the rescues are full of cats and kittens needing homes.  Every day I see pleas for someone to take in this poor kitten that was abandoned, or another poor cat hanging around someone's yard, or a pair of wonderful older cats whose owners just CAN'T manage to take them along in a move . . . .

Faring worst of all are the many feral cats and kittens living on the streets.  Here at Kitty City, our goal is to help these forgotten cats, often viewed as a nuisance by the general public.  It seems that everywhere you look, there are wild kittens at dumpsters, starving cats that obviously need some care but are afraid to approach you, and battered males roaming office and apartment parking lots.

These cats, especially nowadays with so many adoptables needing help, are often last on the list when folks think about contributing time, money, or effort toward animals' well-being.  But they are what all cats are, before we - humans - get involved and make them into "pets."  Contrary to popular belief, these feral cats are not miserable.  This is their natural state.  In the country, natural selection takes  care of population control, and the cats can hunt effectively for food.  However, in the cities, they often exist on the edge of starvation, scavenging in dumpsters and dependent upon the many feral feeders that provide food to the colonies they form when they band together for survival.

At Kitty City, our main goal is to keep feral cat populations in check so these cats can have a quality of life impossible to attain without our help.  We have several colonies around the city and all are registered with the appropriate city agencies.  We trap/spay/neuter/release and work tirelessly to raise awareness for these poor creatures that are so often misunderstood.  But we need your help!

We are completely nonprofit and welcome donations of food, cash, supplies, and most importantly, VOLUNTEER LABOR at any time.  Right now, during kitten season, we are out trapping continuously.  We desperately need volunteers to mind the traps.  Once cats are caught, one of us will come and pick them up, have them spayed or neutered, recover them in our homes, and then release them back in their colonies - but we don't have time to sit and wait for the wily critters to take the bait.  As seasoned trappers know, these cats have highly developed survival instincts and often won't cooperate.  It sometimes takes several days or nights without success to finally get your kitty.  All of us also run shelters, or volunteer at shelters, or do adoptions, not to mention maintaining the unadoptables that will stay with us until they die - and we all have many.  We need fearless souls, preferably night people, who are willing to hang out for hours and wait for traps to snap.

Please contact us if you are one of these intrepid souls.  We'd be glad to hear from you!
posted by Kitty City Feral Sanctuary, Inc. at 3:25 PM

5 Comments:

Hello, I have a colony of ferals that I feed while trying to tame and adopt out. My new neighbors have started trapping them and sending them to the shelter without my knowledge. I cannot bring them in the house but I live in fear of them being caught. What can I do? Please help. my email is Carrie.Rushing@gmail.com

February 16, 2016 at 6:00 PM  

Hello, I have a colony of ferals that I feed while trying to tame and adopt out. My new neighbors have started trapping them and sending them to the shelter without my knowledge. I cannot bring them in the house but I live in fear of them being caught. What can I do? Please help. my email is Carrie.Rushing@gmail.com

February 16, 2016 at 6:02 PM  

I have a colony of ferals that I have been taking care of. They need to be relocated because they are about to tear down the old house where they live. Can someone please help me find a place to relocate them. There are about 10 to 14.

December 10, 2016 at 9:50 PM  

There were two kittens under my car when I backed up and I didn't realize it. One of the kittens was injured, the kitten is still alive, but it is not moving normally. I have tried to capture it, but it will not let me near and acts very aggressively. How can I help it?

October 5, 2017 at 7:27 AM  

Hello! I am in need of help.. On February 26, a neighborhood ferel cat in my had kittens. I was finally able to see 2 of her 3 kittens today and I noticed that they both have infected eyes. I don't know who to call or what to do.if I try to get close to them, they run away. it makes me so sad to see them that way.
What do you suggest that I do?
please help!!

Fabi
dawlyy@yahoo.com

April 27, 2018 at 4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home